POSITION TITLE: Accounting Manager
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
This professional level (FLSA Exempt) position is responsible for the supervision and provision of the accounting department with the assistance of the Director of Finance and Administration. This position also is responsible for the preparation of financial statements, budgets, cost accounting statements, and audit schedules at the Eastern Shore Community Services Board (ESCSB).
In carrying out position requirements, the incumbent reports to and receives supervision from the Director of Finance and Administration. The incumbent is required to demonstrate initiative, exercise sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality of information as warranted.
• Provide day-to-day supervision and oversight to the payroll, accounts payable and accounting specialists in the department.
• Assist the Director of Finance and Administration with the oversight of the Accounting Department to help ensure day-to-day operations run smoothly.
• In conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration, maintain a fiscal management system for the ESCSB that includes record keeping and automated data process application/utilization;
• Prepare monthly financial statements for review by the Director of Finance and Administration, including month-end journal entries;
• Review and approve all journal entries prepared by the Senior Fiscal Services Specialist;
• Prepare schedules for external auditors (scheduling and providing information for the external auditors);
• Ensure all year-end audit adjustments are made, ending and beginning balances agree, and maintain a backup copy of fiscal year-end General Ledger detail;
• Research and analyze financial and accounting records;
• Prepare and present written reports as required relative to ESCSB fiscal management operations;
• Coordinate and perform petty cash audits in conjunction with the Senior Fiscal Services Specialist;
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with ESCSB personnel; local, state, and federal government agencies/officials; and other individuals/organizations involved with fiscal management operations;
• Ensure that the ESCSB is in compliance with Board approved Procurement Policies & Procedures manual;
• Update relevant sections of the ESCSB Financial Policy & Procedures manual for Board approval;
• Review expenditure coding performed by Fiscal Services Specialist for reasonableness, compliance with Financial policies and procedures, and proper accounting treatment;
• Create, set-up and manage all changes made to the cost center structure, with direction from Finance Director;
• Assist and support Senior Fiscal Specialist with HUD audits;
• Oversee and provide guidance to Fiscal Services Specialist in monitoring consumer checking accounts; and
• Perform other position-related duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Supervisory experience with at least 5 years of accounting experience is preferred and the incumbent should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge of: Generally accepted accounting principles; principles and techniques related to cost accounting and budgeting, government accounting; private non-profit accounting and tax regulations; 501(C)3 corporation; the Uniform Single Audit Act; OMB circular A-128; OMB circular 133; financial policies and procedures of the Virginia Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services; computerized accounting systems; fiscal management legal mandates; and communications (written, oral, and interpersonal).
Skill (s) in: Adhering to financial policies and procedures related to auditing, cost accounting, budgeting, procurement, reimbursement, and record keeping; utilizing an automated accounting system; problem solving; employee supervision; public/human relations; communications (written, oral, and interpersonal); making presentations (oral and written); and providing accounting and financial technical assistance to staff, program directors, program supervisors, and the boards of directors of the ESCSB; Mendisadd, Inc.; SILA Corp.; and ARC House, Inc.
Ability (ies) to: Develop and recommend principles/techniques/policies/ procedures related to fiscal management; utilize an automated accounting system; develop and sustain effective working relationships with all types/levels of persons; effectively communicate orally and in writing; perform position duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision; exercise sound judgment; demonstrate initiative; maintain confidential information as warranted; and problem solve.