Deputy Director, Department of Community & Human Services
- Works in partnership with Center Directors to create integrated service, ecosystem approaches with a focus on improved long-term outcomes for residents.
- Supports the Director’s partnerships with community-based organizations, City residents, counterparts in other City departments, regional and state organization and stakeholders interested in a partnership with the Department.
- Leads the Department’s data collection and analysis processes and assists with the development of short- and long-range plans and meaningful performance measures;
- Provides staff support to the City Council/School Board Subcommittee (CCSBS), DCHS Boards and Commissions Chairs’ Convenings, and other collaborative structures.
- Manages the Alexandria Fund for Human Services’ grant making process, to include program monitoring and compliance, grant recipient consultation and training, preparation of related reports for City Council review, and supports other grant making and grant seeking processes for the department.
- Prepares key performance related reports and documents.
- Provides guidance to staff in the development program goals, objectives and efficiency and effectiveness measures, to include quality assurance and compliance across the department.
- Develops and administers the department policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Leads the department’s legislative planning and responses for Virginia General Assembly and Congressional actions.
- Manages the City Council docket process and supports DCHS staff in developing and framing City Council docket memoranda and other documents for City Council or City Manager action.
- Serves as Acting Department Director when requested; and
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum & Additional Requirements
Four-Year College Degree in psychology, sociology, social work or other related fields and five years of progressively more responsible, upper-management experience administering a medium-to-large size behavioral health, social or human services or developmental disability division, program or organization and experience with grant-writing, management, program evaluation, accreditation and best practice service models and/or any combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Master’s Degree; graduate-level courses in Public Administration, social work or planning or related fields; five years of experience in leading, managing or creating behavioral health or human service or related programs; and experience facilitating interagency collaboratives, initiatives, or community coalitions. Bilingual in Spanish.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to: Criminal Records Check; VA State Child Abuse/Neglect Registry; Medicare/Medicaid Fraud Database; and education/certifications. Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9:00AM – 5:00PM