Executive Director: Jennifer Faison
Public Policy Manager: Hilary Piland
Administrative Support & Training Specialist: Allison Downey
Operations Specialist: Valerie Long
Administrative Assistant: Bonnie Stamm
The VACSB is privileged to have as its members, the forty Community Services Boards/Behavioral Health Authority (CSB/BHAs) in Virginia.
- The VACSB represents the CSB/BHAs in state and federal public policy matters, including state and federal funding, legislation and regulation.
- In Virginia, the VACSB works to build consensus on policy, administrative, and operational issues of CSB/BHAs and to represent those issues and solutions to the state decision makers.
- VACSB advocacy efforts are undertaken with partnership family and consumer advocacy organizations.
- The VACSB provides training and development components for CSB/BHA Board members, CSB/BHA staff and for our partners in the private sector.
- The VACSB is a resource of technical assistance and consulting for CSB/BHAs.
- The VACSB engages in public education activities that help the public understand not only the needs of children and adults with behavioral health and developmental disability service needs, but also the abilities of and contributions made to their communities by these individuals.
The mission of the Virginia Association of Community Services Boards is to achieve a publicly-funded system of quality public and private services in Virginia that:
- Is ultimately responsive to individuals with behavioral health and developmental disability service needs, and their families
- Focuses on community-based supports for individuals with behavioral health and developmental disability service needs
- Ameliorates and prevents disabling conditions
- Promotes independence, recovery, behavioral health and education of the public about the needs of individuals with behavioral health and developmental disability service needs
Major Areas of Service to Member CSB/BHAs
- VACSB provides a unified public policy voice of CSB/BHAs and advocacy partners to the Governor, the General Assembly, DBHDS, DMAS, and other state agencies and local government organizations.
- VACSB builds relationships with legislators and advocates for positive legislation and resources for services.
- VACSB impacts state and federal policy and legislation through grass roots efforts and active participation with national associations, such as NACBHDD.
Training & Development
- VACSB sponsors and co-sponsors conferences, workshops, e-learning and other trainings to assist CSB/BHA Board members, CSB/BHA staff, private providers, consumers and family members in staying current with cutting edge information and technology in services delivery. Contact hours for continuing education credits are provided at most VACSB trainings.
- VACSB offers CSB Board Member training programs that provide training for advocacy, board member legal issues, and other issues related to the role of CSB/BHA board members.
- Public Policy Conference:
Held each October, this conference features Virginia and National public policy issues through panels and presentations.
- Development and Training Conference:
Held each May, this conference features skill building, innovative practices and unique models of CSB/BHA and regional programs.
- Legislative Conference:
Held each January in Richmond, this conference provides knowledge and perspective for all members on current budget and legislative information and advocacy opportunities during the legislative session.